Annual Conference 2016
Thank you to everyone who joined us at our annual conference!
Building Bridges in Global Education
October 6 – 8, 2016
Hotel: Sheraton University City
Thursday, October 6. 3 – 5pm
Roundtable for K-12 schools. The Institute of International Education in a 2014 report indicated secondary schools in Pennsylvania enroll more than 3000 international students. Most of these students are Asian, enroll for a high school diploma and attend private schools; European and South American students tend to participate as exchange students. Global educational mobility is expected to grow until 2025. This roundtable will discuss best practices, strategies, success stories and challenges of enrolling students from across the globe.
Friday, October 7
Conference Opening with Keynote speaker Senator Andrew Dinniman, past President, PACIE and State Senator of Pennsylvania’s 19th district.
& Reception at Pyramid Club
Saturday, October 8
Open Spaces. This perennial favorite featured breakfast with an open forum for topics of mutual interest.
Accepted sessions - Friday, October 7 – Saturday, October 8
- Collaborations within global education and/or across sectors utilizing technology. (K-12)
- Educating the Educators: Boko Haram in west Africa and religious fundamentalism (ALL)
- Moving towards a globalized mindset: One high school’s progress through contemplation, collaboration and purposeful cross cultural connections.
- One World. Many Risks: Duty of care strategies in K-20 study abroad
- The Philadelphia story of a world heritage city. (ALL)
- A transformative journey in global citizenship for students and faculty (HE)
- Ladders of Prejudice. Name calling to genocide (ALL)
- Enhancing business management courses with Japanese perspectives: A curriculum module. (HE)*
- United Club: building global competence through cultural exploration (K-12)
- Overcoming barriers in STEM and study abroad (HE)
- The global awareness dialogue project (K-20)
- Bridging cultures and higher education sectors related to South Asia (HE)
- Engaging in non-traditional experiences: global classrooms (HE)
- Connecting incoming international students and study abroad returnees (HE)
- Teaching English in India: Cross-cultural composition at the Global Pathways Institute (HE)
- Title VI ISISFL East Africa Project (HE)
- Building global Competence through differentiated fieldwork: The Abington Friends School – Arcadia University Partnership (K-20)
- Overcoming challenges of integrating Chinese students into colleges (HE)
- Retaining international students in Philly post-graduation (ALL)
- Forerunner: High touch pre-departure leadership program (HE)
- Promote global education for peace through exchange programs (K-12)
- Giving high school students shovels to dig deep into culture (K-12)
- Integrating inbound exchange Students into campus community (HE)
- Giving Back in the Dominican Republic. A partnership between educators and Lifetouch. (ALL)
*(HE = Higher Education)
Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel
3549 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
PACIE is grateful to our 2016 Conference Sponsors for their support!